The City of Palos Verdes Estates owns certain parklands that host recreational facilities, operated and maintained by private entities pursuant to concession agreements. The City is unique in that four recreational facilities operate under these concession agreements: the Palos Verdes Golf Club, the Palos Verdes Tennis Club, the Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club, and the Palos Verdes Stables.
While City staff members periodically meet with representatives of the Clubs and Stables to address any issues that may arise, City involvement is typically limited to an annual review and approval of the facilities’ operating and capital budgets by the City Council, and evaluation of the concessionaires’ compliance with their obligations under the respective concession agreements. The City does not operate or maintain these facilities on a day-to-day basis.
- The Stables is operated by a private for-profit concessionaire who oversees and manages the facility.
- The Palos Verdes Golf Club, Inc., Palos Verdes Tennis Foundation, and the Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Foundation are nonprofit mutual benefit corporations which are responsible for the operation and maintenance of their respective facilities. Club members are therefore members of the nonprofit corporations, not the facilities, and have no ownership or equity interest in the City property.
- Each Club has its own separate Board of Directors and facility manager to oversee the operations of these facilities.
- Staff at the facilities are retained by the individual Clubs and Stables – not by the City.
- Onetime initiation fees are charged to new members of the Clubs; thereafter, members pay monthly dues. Initiation fees generally fund capital expenditures, and monthly dues generally pay for operating expenses at the facilities.
Each of the four facilities offers fee-based programs available to non-member PVE residents. For instance:
- The Palos Verdes Golf Club is open to the public for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. While the Club is closed on Mondays, breakfast and brunch is served Saturday and Sunday; lunch is served Tuesday through Sunday; and dinner is served Wednesday through Friday. Reservations are recommended for dinner.
- For a daily fee, non-member City residents may play at the Tennis Club and Golf Club (and may have access to certain Golf Club facilities); and may use the Beach and Athletic Club’s pool, Jacuzzi and locker areas. The Tennis Club offers lessons and junior tennis programs, while the Beach and Athletic Club offers summer swim programs.
- The Stables offers summer youth camps available to children ages 4 to 14, has riding instructors for all ages, and makes referrals for trail rides for more experienced riders.
Each of the Clubs and Stables pays a concession fee to the City for the use of the facilities. The City also benefits from the expertise of residents who contribute many hours of volunteer time serving on the concessionaire boards and committees. In short, this concession agreement model helps ensure continuing high quality facilities and levels of service to City residents now and into the future.